Saturday, June 17, 2017

Feeding the fish

One thing is for sure: When we go fishing, the fish don't go hungry.

Last night and then again this morning, we fished in the Intracoastal at Gamble Rogers State Park in Flagler Beach. The park is very nice, and we intend to go back, when we can get a spot directly on the beach. That is when we will do some surf fishing there. Because of the heavy rain yesterday afternoon, we did not surf fish, but we put our lines in the Intracoastal.
Jim feeding the fish at Gamble Rogers State Park


I caught a couple of oysters. (Don't ask me how. I don't know. They were on my hook when I pulled the line out of the water.) And both of us fed a lot of fish, which were especially fond of the dead shrimp we were using as bait.

After an hour of fishing this a.m., we headed to the Suwanee River, located a little west of Gainesville. Yes, this is the Suwanee River of folklore song. I didn't know it was a real river until I moved to Florida. It is real; it is wide; and it is beautiful.



It is a slow-moving river, one on which I would have no hesitancy to launch our small boat.

We are staying two nights at one RV park, then two nights at another, both on the river.

Our neighbor gave us some skinny worms, leftover from her fishing foray. I drowned a few, and I fed the fish quite a few. We'll try again tomorrow morning. (Afternoons are out; it has been raining like clockwork at 2:30 to 3:00, with heavy downpours drowning any ideas of outdoor activity.)

Although we did not catch any fish, we did see some really big sturgeon jumping in the river. The sturgeon are protected, but they are something to see as they sport in the water.

It really doesn't matter if we catch fish or not. We are having a good time, and isn't that what it is all about?

Until next time,


Your Reluctant RoVer,

Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back home again...

Rob and I hit the road about 1:30 p.m. on Thursday, June 15. The movers were incredible: They had everything loaded into the huge moving tru...