Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Brrrr

November 27, 2013--Brrr...it's cold here in Raleigh! But I get ahead of myself.

We left Jacksonville on Monday and had a pleasant if not long (as always, about nine hours total) journey here. The previous day, Sunday, was u-g-l-y in Jacksonville--overcast with high winds. Fortunately, the skies cleared and the wind died down. We had no problems driving up here.

We arrived after dark. Our plan was to stay at the North Carolina State Fair Grounds, a hidden camping gem for RVers. Except for October (when the State Fair gears up), the State Fair Grounds offers more than 300 full hookup spots for a bargain price of $25/night. And best of all, it is only 5 miles from Rob's house!

No amenities, of course, but who cares? Camping is on a first-come basis. According to the security guard I had talked with a few days ago, he said there shouldn't be any problem getting a space this time of year. He said to call him when we got in.

I did that, and would you believe he called me by name? He had programmed his phone to accept my name! He met us, led us into the campground, and checked us in.

Again, we had a minor problem (we hope) with our electrical hookup. (Jim will check it out fully when we get home.) But not to worry: We have full electricity, water, and sewer. We are snug as a bug in a rug.

Good thing, too. Because it is darned cold! It is dropping to 22 degrees tonight. Jim will disconnect the water hose so that it won't freeze. Our heater and multiple blankets will keep us warm.

Tuesday we spent with Rob and Corky, just catching up. (The kids were in school.) Today, though, Corky, Maddie, Jackson, Jim and I spent the day at the North Carolina Museum of Science as well as the N.C. Museum of History. (Rob had work to do--the hazards of getting a business off the ground solo.) Good day. Everyone enjoyed the museums, especially the special exhibit of birds of paradise. (The museums were free! Just a small charge to see the special exhibit.)





 Tomorrow is Thanksgiving. I've brought everything with me for a gluten-free dinner, from the turkey to a cheesecake. Jack and I mixed up a pumpkin pie, which he and Corky baked in the pie shell I made a couple days ago.

We have a lot to be thankful for. I'm glad we are here. My family is glad, too.

Until later (and Happy Thanksgiving to you!),

Your Reluctant RoVer,

Linda




No comments:

Post a Comment

Back home again...

Rob and I hit the road about 1:30 p.m. on Thursday, June 15. The movers were incredible: They had everything loaded into the huge moving tru...