Thursday, February 20, 2014

Frogmen

Feb. 20, 2014—Do you remember the movie, Frogmen? I do. It was about the Navy’s Underwater Demolition Team (UDT), the predecessor to the Navy SEALS. I was pretty young when I watched the movie starring Richard Widmark, but I remember thinking how cool it was to swim underwater. Scuba diving wasn’t yet a recreational sport, if my memory is correct.

Today Jim and I traveled down the road to Fort Pierce, Fla., where the UDT SEAL Museum is housed. Quite interesting.
UDT-SEAL Museum

Frogman Jim


The museum tells the history of the UD teams and SEALS and have a lot of artifacts, including weapons as well as uniforms and equipment, used by these brave sailors.

Outside, the museum has a number of different vessels used by the SEALS, which incidentally, stands for SEa, Air, Land. (President Kennedy was the one who created this unit as it is known today.)


Cost is minimal; enjoyment is good. This is another hidden gem, which we really enjoy finding. (We are going to visit a science museum in Brevard County on the way home. It may also merit a “hidden gem” award:>) 

Tomorrow our fishing class.

Until later,

Your Reluctant RoVer
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back home again...

Rob and I hit the road about 1:30 p.m. on Thursday, June 15. The movers were incredible: They had everything loaded into the huge moving tru...